Tuesday 6 April 2010

Rage Against the Machines

Now, I've worked in IT project management for many years, and have come up through the ranks, analysis and programming. I do wonder where we are headed though! Where's the Turing Test?

I called a credit card company today. Dialogue:

Them/IT: Welcome to wanklycard, you are speaking to our new automated system. I will understand what you say when you speak to me. Can you tell me your 16 digit card number?

Me: Yes

Them/IT: I am sorry I did not understand that. Can you tell me your 16 digit card number?

Well, I was was getting irate by now (short fuse - not really)? I said Yes again and it still still looped.

OK, no exception handling (I think it kicked in after 3 failures and transferred me to Inida.

I hung up, redialled and started again, I give in and recite the card number. It continues:

Them/It: Can you tell me your 6 digit pass code.

Me: (go on, guess, that's right) NO

I gave up then. There really is no excuse for this sort of bad scripting or am I just turning into a grumpy old man? Don't answer that...

Rant over!

I've another rant on the way too, about the Care Commission and yet another insurance scheme for our old age.

More in my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is for civilised debate, please comment accordingly.